- To start a sequence or process. For example, to enter a computer command to initiate a sequence.
- To make operational. For example, the adding of liquid to a battery or cell to make it operational.
- To treat a substance or material to make it more effective for a designated purpose. For example, the treatment of a cathode to improve its thermionic emission.
- To induce an action. For example, inducing radioactivity in a non-radioactive element by bombarding it with neutrons.
- To accelerate an action. For example, the use of a catalyst to bond a resin more quickly.
Not what you were looking for?