- All the phenomena which are present in any given physical apparatus or its surrounding environment, other than that which is specifically intended for observation or measurement. For instance, background radiation present when utilizing a Geiger counter. These have an especially noticeable effect when measuring small signals.
- On a computer screen that has more than one window open, all windows except the one that is currently being interacted with, which is the foreground (1) window.
- On a screen or display, the area that is not being specifically interacted with or observed. Also called display background.
- On a screen or display, the area against which characters and/or graphics are displayed.
- In computers, processing and other functions that occur while a user is occupied with other tasks.
Not what you were looking for?