- A medical diagnostic technique in which a series of X-rays are taken at different angles around a specific part of a body. A computer combines the images of the multiple scans, and produces cross-sectional or three-dimensional pictures of internal organs. It is relatively safe, painless, quick, and very sensitive. Its abbreviation is CT. There are several variations, including PET and SPECT. Also called by several other names, including computed axial tomography scan, computed tomography scan, computer-aided tomography, computerized axial tomography, and CAT scan.
- scan Same as computed tomography. Its abbreviation is CT scan.
- scanner Same as CT scanner.
- synonym computer-aided tomography
- synonym CT scan
- synonym computer-assisted tomography
- synonym computer axial tomography
- synonym computer tomography
- synonym computer tomography scan
- synonym computerized axial tomography
- synonym computerized axial tomography scan
- synonym computerized tomography
- synonym computerized tomography scan
Not what you were looking for?