- The action of shutting off, discontinuing, separating, isolating, or blocking. Also, such an instance.
- For a device such as a filter, amplifier, waveguide, or transmission line, the frequency at which the attenuation increases rapidly. For example, the frequency above which the output of an electron tube is no longer useful. Also called cutoff frequency (1), critical frequency (1), or frequency cutoff (1).
- The upper and lower frequencies at which the gain of an amplifier, such as a transistor, drops 3 decibels, or another reference amount. Also called cutoff frequency (2), or frequency cutoff (2).
- For a given transmission mode in a waveguide, the frequency below which a traveling wave can not be maintained. That is, the waveguide functions efficiently only above this frequency. Also called cutoff frequency (3), waveguide cutoff, or frequency cutoff (3).
- The point at which the current flowing through an active device, such as a transistor, is stopped by the control electrode.
- synonym critical frequency
Not what you were looking for?