- noun the quantity of mass per unit of volume
- noun the amount of data that can be packed into a space on a disk or tape
- noun the number of individuals in a specific area
- The amount of matter in a unit volume of material. Density is usually measured in grams per millilitre (or cubic centimetre, almost the same thing), a scale on which water has a density of one. On this scale the Earth’s average density is 5.52gm/cc and that of the Moon 3.34, while the Sun is at 1.41 and a white dwarf in the region of 100 000 gm/cc.
- The mass of a given substance or body per unit volume.
- The concentration of a given entity per unit of a given totality, such as volume. For example, the logarithm of the ratio of incident light to transmitted light, the number of bits per unit area, the number of charge carriers in a semiconductor material per unit volume, or the number of logic gates per unit area of the surface of an IC.
Not what you were looking for?