- noun the spreading of gas or light
- The spontaneous process of one material spreading through and mixing with another. Gases diffuse most readily, followed by liquids, while occurring least in solids.
- The spontaneous process of a material, such as a gas, dispersing from a region of higher density to that of lower density.
- The passage of atoms through a crystal lattice.
- The passage of light through a translucent material.
- The scattering of light when reflected off an irregular surface.
- A process employed in the manufacturing of semiconductor devices, in which the desired impurity atoms, usually contained in a gas, are placed in a precisely heated enclosure with the semiconductor material. In this manner, the impurity atoms, or dopants, are distributed uniformly within the crystal lattice of the semiconductor material. Various devices, with a range of properties, may be formed in this manner. Also called diffusion process.
- The movement of charge carriers through a semiconductor.
Not what you were looking for?