- A list or table which serves to guide or facilitate reference. Also, to create such a list or table.
- In computers, a list or table together with references or keys which serve to identify and locate the contents of disks, directories, files, records, or the like. Also, to create such a list or table. Also, to locate information through the use of the references or keys of said index.
- An index (2) used in a database. Also, to create such an index. Also, to locate information through the use of the references or keys of said index.
- A number or symbol which usually appears as a subscript or superscript in a mathematical expression, and which indicates an operation to be performed, a specific element within a sequence, and so on. An example would be the use of such a number as a superscript to indicate an exponent.
- A usually dimensionless quantity indicating a magnitude of a physical quantity or a ratio between two, such as an index of refraction.
Not what you were looking for?