- noun a machine which forces liquid or air into or out of something
- verb to force liquid or air into or out of something
- In a parametric amplifier, an oscillator which varies a parameter, such as the capacitance or reactance, of the main oscillator. The resulting energy from this pumping action enables amplification of the input signal. Also called pump oscillator.
- The signal provided by a pump (1). Also called pump signal.
- In a laser, to excite electrons, molecules, or ions to higher energy levels, so as to initiate and sustain lasing action. Also, such to provide such excitation in a maser. Also, a device which provides such pumping.
Not what you were looking for?