- adjective referring to something that happens at the same time as something else, e.g. the processing of data as soon as they are received
- noun (written as real time)the processing of data as soon as they are received
- That which occurs instantaneously, or so quickly that processing, entering, adaptation, or any other response is least as fast as a triggering event or circumstance. Said especially when the process being responded to is characterized by continuous activity, change, or varying parameters. For instance, a real-time control system, or an event-management system.
- In computers, that which is processed, or otherwise acted upon, without any delay. Examples include real-time transaction processing and the computation of a discrete Fourier transform.
- In communications, that which occurs without a discernable delay. For instance, telephonic voice conversations, real-time chats, or real-time broadcasts.
Not what you were looking for?