- noun an astronomical object that orbits a larger body in space
- noun something that is controlled by but separate from a computer
- Any natural or artificial body in orbit around another, usually a planet. The terms ‘Earth satellite’ and ‘artificial Earth satellite,’ used early in the space age to describe artificial satellites of the Earth, are now archaic.
- A celestial body that revolves around another. For example, a moon around a planet.
- An artificial object which orbits a celestial body under the gravitational influence of the latter. Also known as artificial satellite (1).
- A satellite (3) intended or utilized for communications, broadcasting, observation, testing, research, or the like. Also called artificial satellite (2).
Not what you were looking for?