- noun a series of marks at fixed intervals used as a reference standard in measurement
- noun a small overlapping plate of tissue on the skin of reptiles and fish
- noun a hard white calcium layer that forms in containers and pipes carrying hot water in areas where the water supply contains a lot of calcium
- A series of marks which serve as a reference when measuring and indicating magnitudes or values. Seen, for example, in meters and indicating instruments. Such a scale may be, for instance, linear or logarithmic. Also, to change from one such scale to another, when more than one is available.
- An instrument or device which measures and indicates mass.
- A progressive, graduated, or hierarchical ordering or series of items, values, or the like. For example, a temperature scale, or a dB scale.
- An established standard for describing, measuring, and stating values. For instance, the Mohs scale.
- A qualitative or quantitative indication of relative magnitudes. For instance, nanoscale, or large-scale.
- The ratio of the size of a body or region to a model or representation of it. For example, a scale used in lithography.
- To change the manner in which a quantity is expressed, so as to fit in a different range. For example, to change from kilometers to meters.
- A thin piece, slice, or flake. For instance, an iron oxide scale formed on the surface of a piece of iron.
- synonym size
Not what you were looking for?