- noun the examination of an internal part of the body using computer-interpreted X-rays to create a picture
- noun a picture of an internal part of the body produced by computer-interpreted X-rays
- To move a detector or a focused beam of electromagnetic radiation, light, sound, or particles, in a fixed pattern over a surface or through a region, to sense, examine, reproduce, transmit, or the like. Seen, for example, in the tracing of the electron beam in a CRT, in the motion of a radar while searching for scanned objects, the helical path of a head in contact with a magnetic tape, or in the conversion of a scene into an electrical image.
- A complete scan (1).
- A scan (1) performed by an antenna, as in radars.
- To search records, files, the Internet, or other sources of information, looking for specific data.
- An analytical or medical diagnostic technique, such as computed tomography, in which one or more scans (1) are taken.
- To utilize a device, such as a radar or scanner, which performs scans (1).
- To examine while seeking something in particular. For instance, to scan communications channels looking for an available circuit.
Not what you were looking for?