- noun a machine that detects and counts the flashes of light produced when high-energy ionising radiation strikes a phosphorescent substance
- A radiation counter which incorporates a scintillation material. As ionizing particles strike said material, the emitted bursts of light are detected by a photomultiplier tube. The output of said tube is then analyzed to determine the level of activity. Used, for instance, for the detection of high-energy photons such as X-rays or gamma rays. Also called scintillator (2), scintillation detector, scintillation meter, scintillator detector, scintillator counter, or scintillometer.
- synonym scintillation detector
- synonym scintillation meter
- synonym scintillator
- synonym scintillator counter
- synonym scintillator detector
Not what you were looking for?