- A device which serves for opening, closing, or changing connections in electric circuits. A switch may be manual or automatic. There are various types, including mechanical, such as circuit-breakers, and semiconductor, such as transistors. Also called electric switch. Its abbreviation is SW.
- A device that activates or turns on, deactivates or turns off, or changes between given levels or modes of operation. Such a switch may be mechanical, electrical, magnetic, optical, acoustic, gravitational, and so on. Examples include rotary, paddle, light-activated, Hall effect, inertia, lever, magnetic reed, mercury, button, centrifugal, and diode switches, among many others. Its abbreviation is SW.
- To change from one state, connection, mode of operation, or the like, to another, using a switch (1) or switch (2).
- A device in a communications network that selects a path or circuit via which data will flow to its next destination. A switch usually involves a simpler and faster mechanism than a router, but may also have router functions. Also called network switch.
- To change from one possibility, alternative, setting, or the like, to another. For example, to switch from landscape to portrait mode.
- In programming, a choice of a jump or process from multiple available jumps or processes. Also, a bit or byte which represents, keeps track of, or modifies such a choice.
Not what you were looking for?