- noun an arrangement of things or phenomena that act together
- noun a group of hardware or software components that work together
- noun a way of classifying something scientifically
- A set of interrelated and/or interdependent components which form a complex whole serving for one or more purposes or functions. There are countless examples, including control, sound, expert, radar, alarm, computer, carrier, biometric, and satellite systems.
- A system (1) incorporating components which are mechanical, electrical, electronic, magnetic, optical, and so on, or any combination of these. For instance, electromechanical, optoelectronic, or magnetohydrodynamic systems.
- A set of objects, entities, characteristics, phenomena, or rules, utilized to describe, classify, organize, compare, or analyze. For example, a system which enables the precise specification and comparison of colors, a scale which allows the classification of materials according to their resistance to scratching or denting, a coordinate system, or a quantum system.
- A set of related objects, entities, characteristics, or phenomena, which occur naturally, such as a solar system.
- A set of components, including equipment, media, and channels, which incorporate all that is necessary for any form of communication from one or more points to others. For example, telephone, TV, or radio systems, computer networks, and so on.
- The complete complement of components required for a computer to function. These include the CPU, keyboard, mouse, monitor, memory, storage mediums, cables, and so on, which comprise the hardware of the computer itself, plus any necessary peripheral devices. In addition, a computer system incorporates the operating system. Also called computer system.
Not what you were looking for?