- noun an identifying character attached to a file or item of data
- That which serves to mark or otherwise enable monitoring or identification. For example, a radioactive tracer, or an RFID tag. Also, to mark, monitor, or identify with such a tag.
- One or more bits or characters which serve to identify data, such as that in a database. Also, the name of such a tag.
- A command or code which specifies how a document, or a part of a document, must be formatted. Examples include HTML tags and meta tags. Also, to so mark a document.
- A transponder within an RFID system. Such a transponder is usually in the form of an IC, and responds to interrogating signals arriving from an RFID reader. Such a tag, for instance, may be incorporated into a box label, a smart card, or a key chain wand which is waved near a reader to effect payments. Also called RFID tag.
Not what you were looking for?