typeover mode
  • In a computer application, a mode of entering data in which any characters typed on the keyboard replace those already occupying the same area. This contrasts with insert mode, in which any newly typed characters are placed between characters already present. Also called overwrite mode, or overtype mode.

Not what you were looking for?