- noun a hole through which air, smoke or gas can leave a building or other structure
- noun a hole through which gases or lava escape from a volcano
- An opening which allows the escape of gases, fluids, or other substances which would create unwanted pressure, or whose presence would otherwise be undesired. For example, such a vent utilized to release unwanted gases from certain types of batteries or capacitors.
- An opening which allows air or another fluid to flow in and/or out of an enclosure or area, so as to provide cooling or warming. Used, for instance, to regulate the temperature surrounding a device.
- A carefully-dimensioned opening in a loudspeaker enclosure. It is employed for various purposes, but it is mainly used to increase and extend the reproduction of low frequencies. Also called speaker port, port (6), duct (5), or ducted port.
Not what you were looking for?